Monday, December 29, 2008

Holiday Crafting

As per the usual on this blog, Happy Belated Holidays! I hope you and your loved ones had a very Merry Christmas.

A few years ago, I wanted to give only gifts I'd handmade myself for Christmas. It was a lot of fun, and well received, but I didn't want to spend another Christmas Eve up late, sewing a tail on a stuffed lion...Last year, I cut back significantly on the handmade gifts, and I didn't have a specific plan for this year. But looking back, it turns out that I made quite a few!

I sent my Grandma and Aunt Beth these cute little cabled ornaments. They're from the Holiday '08 interweave - available free on Knitting Daily. They just took a few hours - Aunt Beth's is made of Moda Dea Washable Wool (left over from the February Lady Sweater) and Grandma's is out of leftover Malabrigo worsted. It turned out great, but the stitch definition was hard to capture in photo.
HPIM0145 HPIM0137

Uncle Steve got a knit hat - he wasn't here this year, so no modeled shots - but he says it fits! Pattern is "Hat fit for a Boyfriend." I used Paton's Shetland Tweed Chunky, and cast on 80 stitches instead of 100 to make up for the bigger gauge. I also made it a little longer, as Uncle Steve has a larger head and really thick hair. It only took a few hours over 2 evenings - very quick!

Emily got socks! I made her some for her HS graduation that got shrunk in the dryer, and she's been begging for more ever since. These are 3x1 rib, done toe-up on magic loop. They're made of Heart & Sole, which is surprisingly nice.
HPIM0078

My 17 year old brother, David, got a book and a fingerless glove. Yep, just one! It seemed a little small, so I wanted him to try it on before I made the second one. Thankfully, it fit just right - I'll be casting on for glove 2 soon.I made a fleece Mets blanket for Aaron - due to a backorder fiasco, I was once again making his gift on Christmas Eve. However, it was done in plenty of time for me to be home for the evening...now if I could just get the orange fuzz off my couch! I don't have any pictures of this, but it turned out nicely.

Lastly, I made some necklaces for my Mom. I gave some to Em for her birthday, and Mom loved them....so I made her a few of her own. It's been awhile since I've done much beading, but she seemed to really like them.

Well, that's it for my Christmas crafts! Now I return to my regularly scheduled selfish knitting. :)

2 comments:

honeyonanything said...

Hooray! A post! Hooray! Keep it up - once a week in the new year - at least! Love your presents - especially the single glove. Good stuff. As always, I'm impressed with your craftiness.

Elke said...

Ooo, Washable Wool and Malabrigo ornaments? What a waste to hang such smooshiness on a tree where no one will pet it!