Sunday, April 20, 2008

FO: Swallowtail

I adore this shawl. It was a fun, quick knit - and the yarn was delightful. It's the Swallowtail Shawl (IK Fall'06 - also available as a free PDF from Knitting Daily - limited time only!) by Evelyn A. Clark. The pattern is well written and simple. Easy enough to memorize, but still not boring. I loved the nupps - I made a conscious effort to knit them loosely, and I didn't have any p5otg problems.

The only negative is the size - it's pretty tiny. A lot of people added repeats to make it larger and a little more wearable. I had only 50g of yarn and wasn't sure if I'd have enough to make necessary
increases. I probably would have though - I had almost 15 grams left over!





I used Malabrigo lace in the Intenso colorway. It was absolutely perfect. I loved knitting with it, and it blocked so nicely. I used size 5 Addi Lace needles.




I had hoped to wear this last night - Kristen, Gena and GP, and I went to see Jekyll and Hyde at our local community theater. Melinda worked on the costume crew, and it was very fun to see her handiwork! As it turned out, an old high school friend of mine was on the cast as well a girl from my church. However, the weather was cold and rainy - not ideal for freshly blocked lace! It was nicer today, and my friend Laurie helped me out with a photo shoot this afternoon.

I love it!

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

This is gorgeous! The tonal color is so perfect for the lace. I don't know how you manage to churn out projects so quickly. Beautifully done.

Gena said...

Oh, it's really beautiful! But yeah, kinda on the small side. More like a scarf than a shawl.

Julianna said...

Beautiful shawl! I think it's the perfect size. And I DO love the photo where you are admiring your boobies :) LOL.