Sunday, January 6, 2008

New Year, New Knitting...

Well, it'll probably be a few more weeks before I remember to stop writing 2007 on my checks, but I'm settling in alright to the new year.
I had a little downtime over the holidays, and my evenings have been quiet over the past week, so there has been knitting!

The first FO of 2008 is the (too small) Center Square hat. This is also my first fair isle attempt. Bulky yarn on size 10.5 needles made it go very fast - just 2 evenings. I think I did a fairly good job of keeping an even tension, but the hat came out waaayyyy to small for me. I didn't really check gauge - I was knitting mostly for the sake of knitting, and learning something new. After checking Ravelry it seems this is pretty common - the too smallness, that is. And in fact, had I bothered to read the finished dimensions I would have known it wouldn't fit. I'm sure I can find a little girl that needs a new hat! I knit this out of Paton's Classic merino, doubled. One of my goals for '08 is to be more comfortable with colorwork.


And the second FO is a pair of Fetching fingerless mitts. I knit these up in 2 days, one evening each out of Cashmerino Aran on size 5 dpns. I omitted the picot edge - that seemed to flare out, and not really hug the hand...seems a little counterproductive to the whole keeping warm thing! I hear these run big, so I knit them a tighter gauge. I was able to get both mitts out of one ball of yarn easily. Which means I still have one ball left! My little sister loves purple, so I may whip up another pair for her.
In progress I have some Ballerina Slippers! I'm excited about these, in a silly sort of way. I was initially planning to do some felted clogs, but this pattern popped up first...who can resist? As you can tell, I've been into the smaller projects lately. I'm trying to lighten my stash of single skeins and smaller amounts of yarn - plus I haven't had the focus for a big project and I needed a little instant gratification.

Well, I hope the New Year is off to a good start to you! Happy Knitting :)

1 comment:

Gena said...

love the colors in the hat! My Fetchings (which I have since lost) were too big, and the picot edge rolled down. If I made them again, I'd def lose the picot and go down a needle size.