Thursday, June 7, 2007

2 days...

Tonight my little sister graduated from high school. Congratulations Em! I gave her some bath stuff, and the green cabled Schulana socks - she loved them, and they fit her perfectly! I'm so glad. Below is a picture of me and my siblings - we tried to get a good one, and well - this is as good as it gets. (My brothers are usually making faces like that anyway.)
I finished my second pair of Schulana socks today-the Rainy Day socks! The ends still need weaving in, but I tucked them under for pictures. I really enjoyed knitting this pattern - it was easy to memorize, went quickly and the lace has good stretch to it. They feel soo good on my feet! I did 5 pattern repeats for the leg, and 17 total for the sock. I love knitting socks with clearly defined pattern repeats, because it's so much easier to make sure the socks will turn out exactly the same length - I'm always a little off with just a rib or stockinette pattern, it seems. Pattern: Magknit's Rainy Day Socks
Yarn: Schulana merino cotton (1.2 balls)
Needles: size 3 & 4 bamboo dpns 6 inch
Time: 6 days (some days being multiple hour knitting)
Mods: I did a ribbing instead of the picot edging, and shortened the cuff, as usual. I also did a slip stitch heel, rather than the plain stockinette heel - I like the added texture.

In other FO news, the Booga bag is done. I put it in the wash to felt on Tuesday night, and I put the handles on last night. I am pretty pleased with it. It is smaller than I envisioned - although the measurements are pretty on. I think I may do another one with Patons SWS and make it a little bigger. I took some before and after shots, with a Kleenex box for scale.
Pattern: Black Sheep Bags (Julie Anderson) Booga Bag
Yarn: Noro Kureyon - almost 3 skeins
Needles: 10.5 clover circular - 16 inch, clover 10.5 dpns
Time: about a week and a half
Mods: None!
And last, I am finally making progress on the Chickami! I got it restarted, and then I put it aside in favor of the Rainy Day socks. Then when I picked it up again, I realized to avoid pooling/flashing, I needed to be alternating skeins every few rows. I knew I would be unhappy with it otherwise. But the thought of actually having to DO it was unsettling. So, on Wednesday I left my socks at home, and took the Chickami with me - I would HAVE to work on it. And now it's flying along. Switching skeins isn't that big of a deal - I'm just carrying up the side "seam." I imagine this tank will get the bulk of my attention the next few days, with nothing else big on the needles. I will probably start another pair of socks soon - I am thinking of trying toe-up next!
*the color in the picture is off - It's much more subdued and pretty than this! 2 more days until my new roomie gets here :) hope the packing is going well, Mick!

3 comments:

Mick said...

Two days, I can't believe it's almost here!! :-D

I can't believe how big the young'ns are in your family photo!
I remember them all so little! lol

The Finer Skeins in Life said...

Hi!
I've enjoyed reading your blog. I found it through the Knit Picky site. Anywho, I made the booga bag also, and it was smaller than I envisioned as well. My biggest problem was that I carried it for one day and it started to pill, so I threw it in the washer again on the advice of a friend. Now there aren't any more pills, but it's just the right size for Barbie (exaggeration). But I made one for my mom too and it has done fine. It's a fun bag to make and I've gotten a lot of compliments on it. Well, once again I love reading your blog. Keep more coming!

Elke said...

Thanks for hanging out on Saturday, I had a great day! I'll miss our yarn lunch next week, but at least we'll get to hang out Wednesday (and I get to meet Mick!)

The booga is so cute. It's got me in the mood for quick felted knits! Alpaca, anyone?