Saturday, March 24, 2007

Weekend Knitting


Well, first things first, I finished my Broadripple Socks on Wednesday afternoon and promptly put them on to wear to Knit Night at the LYS. They came out so great! I love them. (I would've posted sooner, but I had tons of schoolwork this week - and I suck at taking photos.)

This isn't a great photo, but I can't seem to get any that show the colors very well. I used the recommended Cascade Fixation, which was great to work with. I will definitely be using it again. I will probably make them again in another colorway - they are great spring socks! I used a size 3 needle, and had the recommended gauge from the pattern, but if/when I make them again I think I'll go down to a 2. They are a little slouchy on my leg, which is surprising, usually my socks are a little too tight. I did make the leg/cuff a few inches shorter, because I don't like my socks to be too tall.

Today was a great day for knitting! I took a short-row workshop at Knit Picky this morning. We learned how to do the wrap & turns, and picking up wraps, etc. It was a lot of fun, and the time flew by. This got us started on squares for the Lizard Ridge blanket from Knitty. I'm not sure I'll make a whole afghan, but maybe a pillow. The technique wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Once I got it down, it went pretty quickly. But I forgot to do my color change after row 6...for some reason, I thought it was meant to go after row 12 (where you also change.) Later on (after I'd been home), I decided to rip out the rows in the wrong color, and make the change from the outside to the inside of the ball. My colors were almost the same, so it hardly makes a difference, but my little inner perfectionist feels better anyway. I also figured out that I was picking up my wraps backwards, and was able to avoid some of the ugly bumps in the first 6 rows. I'm considering trying out a sock with short row heels next, now that I understand the concept better.


After class, I had lunch with my new friend Carey, and we went to my house and watched Sherrybaby and knit some more. How fun to have a knitting buddy! Many of my friends are not knitters, and don't understand all my quirks. She worked on some socks and her Lizard Ridge Square, and I trucked along on my fitted tank. I've finished the armhole decreases and only have about 5 inches or so left to go on the back. I'm so close, and I'm getting tired of working on it. My goal for the rest of the evening is to finish the back, and maybe do some blocking, which will leave me with the seaming and finishing for tomorrow.


The weather is abolutely beautiful today. I sat on the roof outside my bedroom this evening (we don't really have a good porch) while I reworked my LR rows. It's too dark to do that now, so instead I'm going to leave the window open and sit by my window while I knit. Sounds like a perfect night to me!

No comments: